The Paystack Subscriptions feature allows customers to pay a specific amount every hour, day, week, month, or year depending on the recurring interval set on a plan. With recurring payments on Paystack, the customer enters their card details once, and they're dutifully debited without them having to input their card details again in future.
Important to Note
A Plan is a set schedule that deducts a specified amount at regular intervals, while a Subscription is the recurring payment that runs on an existing plan.
So, for example, your business could have a Plan that is created to charge customers N5,000 every month for home cleaning, a customer then subscribes to that plan and they are charged N5,000 monthly.
The Paystack Subscriptions feature is available to all businesses on Paystack, and subscriptions can only be charged via a bank card.
How do I create a Subscription page?
You can learn how to create a subscription page by going through our detailed guide on how to collect recurring payments using Paystack Payment Pages.
The Subscriptions Menu
This page shows you a list of all your customers subscribed to any of your plans. There are six subscriptions statuses: Active, Active (Non-renewing), Active (Renewing), Completed, Cancelled, and Attention.
Active: These are subscriptions that are currently active (including renewing, non-renewing, and those that require attention).
Active (non-renewing): These subscriptions have been paid for, but are cancelled for renewal e.g. a customer pays for a yearly subscription but chooses to not renew the subscription. So, while the subscription is currently active, it won't be renewed.
Active (renewing): A list of active subscriptions that will be renewing.
Completed: These are subscriptions that are completed. This is useful when you set the number of times your customer should be charged.
Cancelled: These are inactive subscriptions have been cancelled.
Attention: This status is used for subscriptions that have issues renewing (e.g. expired cards and failed charge attempts).
There are a few ways you can interact with this page, such as searching for subscribers with any parameter using the search box and filtering results. This is explained below:
- Filter by Plan: You can filter your subscribers by the plan they are on.
- Filter by Status: Subscribers can be filtered by the status of their subscriptions.
- Filter by Amount: You can filter your subscribers by the price of their plan.
- Filter by Expiring cards: Subscribers can be filtered by their card expiration date.
- Filter by Creation Date: You can filter your subscribers by the date their subscription was created.
How do I cancel a customer's subscription?
- First, go to the subscriptions menu on your dashboard.
- You will need to find the subscription you want to cancel, the easiest way to do this is to use your customer's email address to search.
- When you find the subscription click on it and it will expand to show more information about the subscription:
- Scroll to the bottom and click on 'Cancel Subscription'
- A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm the action. Click on 'Yes, cancel' and you've successfully cancelled a subscription.
Take note of the plan your customer is subscribed to before you cancel a subscription. This is because the same customer can be subscribed to more than one of your plans and you would not want to cancel the wrong subscription.
Article is closed for comments.